lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cores and and ranking (search quality)
Date Tue, 10 Mar 2015 15:46:31 GMT
SOLR-1632 will certainly help. But trying to predict whether your core
A or core B will appear first doesn't really seem like a good use of
time. If you actually have a setup like you describe, add &debug=all
to your query on both cores and you'll see all the gory detail of how
the scores are calculated, providing a definitive answer in _your_
situation.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 5:44 AM,  <johnmunir@aol.com> wrote:
> (reposing this to see if anyone can help)
>

> Help me understand this better (regarding ranking).
>
> If I have two docs that are 100% identical with the exception of uid (which is stored
but not indexed).  In a single core setup, if I search "xyz" such that those 2 docs end up
ranking as #1 and #2.  When I switch over to two core setup, doc-A goes to core-A (which has
10 records) and doc-B goes to core-B (which has 100,000 records).

> Now, are you saying in 2 core setup if I search on "xyz" (just like in singe core setup)
this time I will not see doc-A and doc-B as #1 and #2 in ranking?  That is, are you saying
doc-A may now be somewhere at the top / bottom far away from doc-B?  If so, which will be
#1: the doc off core-A (that has 10 records) or doc-B off core-B (that has 100,000 records)?

> If I got all this right, are you saying SOLR-1632 will fix this issue such that the end
result will now be as if I had 1 core?

> - MJ

are across the shards and how large your shards are. If you have small and dissimilar shards,
your ranking will suffer a lot.

> Work is being done to remedy this:
>
>> Also, will facet and more-like-this quality / result be the same?
>
> It is not formally guaranteed, but for most practical purposes, faceting on multi-shards
will give you the same results as single-shards.