lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Russell Taylor <Russell.Tay...@interactivedata.com>
Subject RE: Replacing a group of documents (Delete/Insert) without a query on the index ever showing an empty list (Docs)
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:01:49 GMT
Yes that works and now I have a better understanding of the soft and hard commits to boot.

Thanks again Shawn.

Russ.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apache@elyograg.org]
Sent: 27 March 2015 13:22
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Replacing a group of documents (Delete/Insert) without a query on the index ever
showing an empty list (Docs)

On 3/27/2015 7:07 AM, Russell Taylor wrote:
> Hi Shawn, thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I've looked at both methods and I think that they won't work for a number of reasons:
>
> 1)
> uniqueKey:
>  I could use the uniqueKey and overwrite the original document but I
> need to remove the documents which are not on my new input list and the issue with the
uniqueKey method is I don't know what to delete.

> Documents on the index:
> "docs": [
> {
> "id":"1"
> "keyField":"A"
> },{
> "id":"2"
> "keyField":"A"
> },{
> "id":"3"
> "keyField":"B"
> }
> ]
> New Documents to go on index
> "docs": [
> {
> "id":"1"
> "keyField":"A"
> },{
> "id":"3"
> "keyField":"B"
> }
> ]
> I would never know that id:2 should be deleted. (on some new document lists the delete
list could be in the millions).

> 2)
> openSearcher:
> My openSearcher is set to false and I've also commented out autoSoftCommit so I don't
get a partial list being returned on a query.
> <!--
> <autoSoftCommit>
>        <maxTime>${solr.autoSoftCommit.maxTime:1000}</maxTime>
> </autoSoftCommit>
> -->
>

> So is there another way to keep the original set of documents until the new set has been
added to the index?

If you are 100% in control of when commits with openSearcher=true are sent, which it sounds
like you probably are, then you can do anything you want from the start of indexing until
commit time, and the user will never see any of it, until the commit happens.  That allows
the following relatively simple paradigm:

1) Delete LOTS of stuff, or perhaps everything in the index with a deleteByQuery of *:* (for
all documents).

2) Index everything you need to index.

3) Commit.

Thanks,
Shawn

This message (including any files transmitted with it) may contain confidential and/or proprietary
information, is the property of Interactive Data Corporation and/or its subsidiaries, and
is directed only to the addressee(s). If you are not the designated recipient or have reason
to believe you received this message in error, please delete this message from your system
and notify the sender immediately. An unintended recipient's disclosure, copying, distribution,
or use of this message or any attachments is prohibited and may be unlawful.