lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Siegfried Goeschl <sgoes...@gmx.at>
Subject Re: Measuring QPS
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2015 17:42:21 GMT
Hi Dan,

at willhaben.at (customer of mine) two SOLR components were written for SOLR 3 and ported
to SORL 4

1) SlowQueryLog which dumps long-running search requests into a log file

2) Most Frequent Search Terms allowing to query & filter the most frequent user search
terms over the browser

Some notes along the line

* For both components I have the “GO" to open source them but I never had enough time to
do that (shame on me) - see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-4056

* The Most Frequent Search Term component actually mimics a SOLR server you feed the user
search terms so this might be a better solution in the long run. But this requires to have
a separate SOLR core & ingest  plus GUI (check out SILK or ELK) - in other words more
moving parts in production :-)

* If there is sufficient interest I can make a code drop on GitHub

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

> On 06 Apr 2015, at 16:25, Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C] <daniel.davis@nih.gov> wrote:
>
> Siegfried,
>
> This is a wonderful find.   The second presentation is a nice write-up of a large number
of free tools.   The first presentation prompts a question - did you add custom request handlers/code
to automate determination of best user search terms?   Did any of your custom work end-up
in Solr?

> Thank you so much,
>
> Dan
>
> P.S. - your first presentation takes me back to seeing "Angrif der Klonkrieger" in Berlin
after a conference - Hayden Christensen was less annoying in German, because my wife and I
don't speak German ;)   I haven't thought of that in a while.

(what’s happening now & historical data) plus JVM monitoring as additional benefit.
The servers are deployed on Tomcat so I’m of little help regarding Jetty - having said that

> * you need two Jars (javamelody & robin)
> * tinker with web.xml
>
> Here are two of my presentations mentioning JavaMelody (plus some other stuff)
>
> http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/presentations/solr-from-development-to-production-20121210.pdf
<http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/presentations/solr-from-development-to-production-20121210.pdf>
> http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/presentations/jsug-2015/jee-performance-monitoring.pdf
<http://people.apache.org/~sgoeschl/presentations/jsug-2015/jee-performance-monitoring.pdf>

> Cheers,
>
> Siegfried Goeschl
>
>> On 03 Apr 2015, at 17:53, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 4/3/2015 9:37 AM, Davis, Daniel (NIH/NLM) [C] wrote:
>>> I wanted to gather QPS for our production Solr instances, but I was surprised
that the Admin UI did not contain this information.   We are running a mix of versions, but
mostly 4.10 at this point.   We are not using SolrCloud at present; that's part of why I'm
checking - I want to validate the size of our existing setup and what sort of SolrCloud setup
would be needed to centralize several of them.