lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Storing SolrCloud index data in Amazon S3
Date Mon, 04 May 2015 11:07:27 GMT
On Mon, 2015-05-04 at 10:03 +0100, Vijay Bhoomireddy wrote:
> Just wondering whether there is a provision to store SolrCloud index data on
> Amazon S3? Please let me know any pointers.

Not to my knowledge.

>From what I can read, Amazon S3 is intended for bulk data and has really
poor latency. For example:
https://engineering.gnip.com/s3-read-performance/
puts the latency of a 1KB-request at 125ms.

Interestingly enough it seems that multi-threading helps tremendously in
this scenario. Standard Lucene/Solr does not take advantage of this. One
could conceivably over-provision reads, but it seems like a lot of work
for a special case.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark