lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "sangeetha.subramanian@gtnexus.com" <sangeetha.subraman...@gtnexus.com>
Subject What is the best practice to Backup and delete a core from SOLR Master-Slave architecture
Date Wed, 06 May 2015 10:08:30 GMT
Hi,

I am a newbie to SOLR. I have setup Master Slave configuration with SOLR 4.0. I am trying
to identify what is the best way to backup an old core and delete the same so as to free up
space from the disk.

I did get the information on how to unload a core and delete the indexes from the core.

Unloading - http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=UNLOAD&core=core0
Delete Indexes - http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=UNLOAD&core=core0&deleteIndex=true

What is the best approach to remove the old core ?

*       Approach 1

o   Unload the core in both Master and Slave server AND delete the index only from Master
server (retain the indexes in slave server as a backup). If I am retaining the indexes in
Slave server, at later point is there a way to bring those to Master Server ?

*       Approach 2

o   Unload and delete the indexes from both Master and Slave server. Before deleting, take
a backup of the data dir of old core from File system. I am not sure if this is even possible
?

Is there any other way better way of doing this ? Please let me know

Thanks
Sangeetha