lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the best practice to Backup and delete a core from SOLR Master-Slave architecture
Date Wed, 06 May 2015 15:01:58 GMT
Well, they're just files on disk. You can freely copy the index files
around wherever you want. I'd do a few practice runs first though. So:
1> unload the core (or otherwise shut it down).
2> copy the data directory and all sub directories.
3> I'd also copy the conf directory to insure a consistent picture of
the index when you restored it.
4> delete the core however you please.

Of course before I did <4> I'd try bringing up the core on some other
machine a few times, just to be sure you had all the necessary
parts... Once you were confident of the process you don't need to
restore _every_ time.

Best,
Erick

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 3:08 AM, sangeetha.subramanian@gtnexus.com
<sangeetha.subramanian@gtnexus.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a newbie to SOLR. I have setup Master Slave configuration with SOLR 4.0. I am trying
to identify what is the best way to backup an old core and delete the same so as to free up
space from the disk.

> I did get the information on how to unload a core and delete the indexes from the core.
>
> Unloading - http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=UNLOAD&core=core0
> Delete Indexes - http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=UNLOAD&core=core0&deleteIndex=true
>
> What is the best approach to remove the old core ?
>

> *       Approach 1
>
> o   Unload the core in both Master and Slave server AND delete the index only from Master
server (retain the indexes in slave server as a backup). If I am retaining the indexes in
Slave server, at later point is there a way to bring those to Master Server ?

> *       Approach 2
>
> o   Unload and delete the indexes from both Master and Slave server. Before deleting,
take a backup of the data dir of old core from File system. I am not sure if this is even
possible ?