lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Deleting Fields
Date Sat, 30 May 2015 12:57:59 GMT
Hi Joseph,

> On May 30, 2015, at 8:18 AM, Joseph Obernberger <joeo@lovehorsepower.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you Erick.  I was thinking that it actually went through and removed the index
data; that you for the clarification.

I added more info to the Schema API page about this not being true.  Here’s what I’ve
got so far - let me know if you think we should add more warnings about this:

-----
Re-index after schema modifications!

If you modify your schema, you will likely need to re-index all documents. If you do not,
you may lose access to documents, or not be able to interpret them properly, e.g. after replacing
a field type.

Modifying your schema will never modify any documents that are already indexed. Again, you
must re-index documents in order to apply schema changes to them.

[…]

When modifying the schema with the API, a core reload will automatically occur in order for
the changes to be available immediately for documents indexed thereafter.  Previously indexed
documents will not be automatically handled - they must be re-indexed if they used schema
elements that you changed.
-----

Steve