lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Sold 4.10.4 dropping index on shutdown
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2015 18:21:43 GMT
Oliver:

It's really got to be some kind of oddity in your environment. It's,
shall we say, highly unlikely that this is a fundamental problem in the
code and you're the _only_ one it's affected.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 3:21 AM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> Can you confirm that the indexes *are* in place on disk before you shut
> down? Whilst it may seem like indexes are being removed, this would seem
> extremely unlikely, and the explanation is likely something else.
>
> Try looking at your index files, post some content, commit, look again
> at your index files, then shut down. What changes have you seen? Did the
> commit 'take' and cause the files to be written?
>
> Upayavira
>
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Oliver Schrenk wrote:
>> Yes. Hard commit using SolrJ 4.10.4 client with UpdateResponse.commit()
>> which defaults to waitFlush=true and waitSearcher=true
>>
>> We reverted back to Solr 4.7 for the time being, which is a pity as we
>> really benefitted from the concurrent commit fix.
>>
>> > On 17 Nov 2015, at 18:00, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Did you commit after indexing and before shutting down? Even if you didn't,
I'm
>> > still a bit surprised, but that's one possible explanation.
>> >
>> > But this is the first time I've seen this problem mentioned...
>> >
>> > Best,
>> > Erick

When shutting down the service (with a confirmed graceful shutdown in the logs), the index
is dropped, with only one lonely `segments.gen` file left for each shard and all other files
being deleted.

have a similar issues and has some advice?