lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Mix Solr 4 and 5?
Date Fri, 22 Jan 2016 16:01:49 GMT
On 1/22/2016 8:37 AM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
> The doc is silent on this issue of SolrJ vs. server version compatibility
> in general (e.g., 4 vs. 5.) That's not an absolute assurance, but at least
> it's a possibility. And and far as I know, if you had a SolrJ 4 app and
> upgraded the server (with no change in the index or data model), the app
> should work fine. So... if you stick with SolrJ 4 and use the Solr 4 doc as
> your guide, you should be okay. That's the theory.
>
> Worst case, you would have to deploy a Solr 4 server. That's not the
> preferred choice, but is a decent backup plan.

The doc is indeed silent on the issue of cross-version compatibility.  I
have personally mixed 4.x and 5.x versions when using the HttpSolrClient
(HttpSolrServer in 4.x) object and had no problems.  This works REALLY well.

I have seen evidence on this list that trying to mix versions when using
the CloudSolrClient (CloudSolrServer in older versions) will not work
when the version gap is more than a couple of minor releases.  When
SolrJ is older, even a bump of one minor Solr version might be too much,
due to changes required to support new functionality or fix stubborn bugs.

Thanks,
Shawn