lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From <wmcgin...@cox.net>
Subject Collection API Change
Date Tue, 03 May 2016 17:26:43 GMT
I am proposing that the Collection API be consistent with SolrJ (CloudSolrClient).
SolrJ's design philosophy uses the list of zookeeper addresses to gather cloud information,
and then intelligently sends the actual request to the single solr node that is best able
to serve it.
This information includes what solr nodes are alive, and what collections/cores reside,
and where and whom the current leader is.

Why can't the Collection API or something else expose this functionality.
Otherwise, you have to use a load balancer (software or hardware) to present a single point
of access for your code,
and let it forward the request to one of the solr nodes.  It should be able to track which
ones are alive and failover to the other(s).
I really don't think this is necessary, because Solr can already do this, internally.

Maybe an intelligent way of submitting queries to the cloud, without checking the cloud state
is difficult, but the code already exists.

Thank you
Will McGinnis