lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark Vega <veg...@uci.edu>
Subject Stemming nouns ending in 'y'
Date Thu, 19 May 2016 17:54:47 GMT
I am using Apache Nutch v1.10 and SOLR v.5.2.1 to index and search a medical website and am
trying to find out why every stemmer I've tried on certain nouns in medical terminology ending
in 'y' merely replaces the ending 'y' with an 'I'.  As example, the term 'osteopathy' stemmed
with the Porter Stemmer Filter stems to 'osteopathi', which will match 'osteopath' and 'osteopathic',
but will not match the original term 'osteopathy' itself.  I've seen this with quite a few
medical and science nouns ending in 'y'  (though, oddly enough, the word 'terminology' itself
stems to 'terminolog' just as I would expect it to) and am wondering whether there is a different
stemmer I should be using, or if I am just using this one incorrectly.  I am currently applying
the PorterStemFilterFactory to a field of type 'text' in both the indexing and querying analyzers.
 Any comments, suggestions or explanations would be much appreciated.

--
Mark F. Vega
Programmer/Analyst