lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Toke Eskildsen ...@statsbiblioteket.dk>
Subject Re: Is it safe to upgrade an existing field to docvalues?
Date Thu, 25 Aug 2016 06:40:24 GMT
Alessandro Benedetti <abenedetti@apache.org> wrote:
> So basically using your tool you build a copy of the index ( similar to
> what optimize does) without affecting the main index right ?

Yes. Your step-by-step is spot on.

In the end we re-indexed everything, because there were other issues with the index we wanted
to fix, so DVEnabler is very much a limited implementation. I am sure that the conversion
code can be made a lot faster.

I could envision a better tool that just used a source index and a destination schema and
did the conversion with no setup-fuss. One could also add other usable conversions besides
DV-switching: Multi-value-fields with always 1 value/doc could be changed to true single-value,
and vice-versa. String fields with numerics could be converted to true numerics. etc. Most
of the data is already in the index, so it is "just" a question of re-packing it.

> This is actually a useful tool when re-indexing could be extremely long.

Thank you.

Important note: I stated that I created that tool, which I apologize for. Thomas Egense and
I wrote it jointly.

- Toke Eskildsen