lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: Language support
Date Tue, 23 Aug 2016 14:46:22 GMT
Synonyms are also domain specific. A synonym set for one area may be completely wrong in another.

In cooking, arugula and rocket are the same thing. In military or aerospace, missile and rocket
are very similar.

I would start with librarians. They maintain controlled vocabularies (called “thesauri”).
Usually, a thesaurus has the official classification terms but also has “entry terms”.
The entry terms are alternate terms that are used to get to the primary term.

For example, the category might be “electric vehicle”, but an entry term could be “zero
emission vehicle”.

Good luck. I had a hard time finding thesauri on line a few years ago.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org