lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: for lengthy search string edismax parser doesnot work but dismax works
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 12:51:22 GMT
On 10/5/2016 4:03 AM, preeti kumari wrote:
> For lengthy search string (chars more than 150) edismax parser doesnot
> work. It starts giving OOM heap error. But same query with dismax
> works and no heap issue. Can anyone help me with any parameter to
> tweak such queries to make it work with edismax parser?

There are exactly two solutions to the OutOfMemoryError regarding heap
space:

1) Increase the heap size.
2) Decrease the memory requirements.

The default heap size that Solr 5.0 and later starts with is 512MB.
This is a very small heap size.  We are aware that the default is very
small -- this is intentional, so that the default install is runnable on
virtually any hardware.

Almost all production Solr installs will require increasing the heap
size.  If you get a little bit of data in a Solr install and then make
complex query requests, it can easily require more than 512MB of total heap.

You appear to be asking about option number 2 above ... but I believe
you'll be better off with option number 1.

There also might be elements here of a general XY problem:

http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem

Thanks,
Shawn