lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: SOLR Sizing
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2016 12:25:01 GMT
On 10/14/2016 12:18 AM, Vasu Y wrote:
> Thank you all for the insight and help. Our SOLR instance has multiple
> collections.
> Do you know if the spreadsheet at LucidWorks (
> https://lucidworks.com/blog/2011/09/14/estimating-memory-and-storage-for-lucenesolr/)
> is meant to be used to calculate sizing per collection or is it meant to be
> used for the whole SOLR instance (that contains multiple collections).
>
> The reason I am asking this question is, there are some defaults like
> "Transient (MB)" (with a value 10 MB) specified "Disk Space Estimator"
> sheet; I am not sure if these default values are per collection or the
> whole SOLR instance.

You would need to include info for everything that would live on the
Solr instance ... but even that estimator can only provide you with a
*guess* as to how much heap size you need, and depending on how you
actually use Solr, it might be a completely incorrect guess.  You've
already been given the following URL in response to the initial
question, and gotten other replies about why there's no way for us to
give you an actual answer:

https://lucidworks.com/blog/2012/07/23/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/

Testing and adjusting the actual live production system is the only way
to be absolutely sure what your requirements are.  Anything before that
is guesswork.

Thanks,
Shawn