lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Rick Leir <rl...@leirtech.com>
Subject Re: (ANNOUNCEMENT) Solr Examples reading group
Date Fri, 07 Oct 2016 23:45:12 GMT

On 2016-10-07 01:04 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> Rick:
> ..
> I've seen a _lot_ of configs in the wild with weird indentation, they
> tend to get that way because there are lots of situations I've seen
> where people edit them through some kind of remote terminal and can
> only edit in some vi-like editor. Which may be customized a zillion
> different ways in terms of how indentation is handled. That's
> something that we'd need to be sensitive to when considering an
> indentation-sensitive format.
I commonly do a diff of the xmls to see what has changed in a new
release, or what differs in an example.  The indentation is often
'tidied up' in different ways, making the diff almost useless. Perhaps I
need to run an xml formatter before doing any diff's on xml's. Also,
perhaps the Solr committers could agree to standardize on an xml formatter.

Sorry for warping this thread so far: When you comment out a swatch of
XML, you need to allow for embedded comments. That is less troublesome
with some other flavours of config file.