lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multiple solr instances on one server
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 04:08:11 GMT
This is an impossibly vague question to answer. You haven't
provided _anything_ useful to help answer. How much physical
memory is on the machine? How man processors? What
kind of searching? Faceting? Indexing rate? How many
documents? What kind of documents?

What evidence do you have that you _need_ to run multiple JVMs?
Is this a case of premature optimization?

About the only reason to worry about this is if you are encountering
long stop-the-world JVM pauses. Have you any evidence of that? Unless
and until you do there's not much point in running multiple JVMs. Or, I
guess, if your queries are taking too long to come back even under
light load.

And even with all that information, the only honest answer is
"try some variations and find out". Here's a straw-man proposal:
Start by allocating 16G to your JVMs until you have allocated a total
of around 30% of your physical memory to your JVMs. Say you have
128G, that would be 2 JVMs. Then measure/tune/measure, _then_
decide.

Best,
Erick