lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: (ANNOUNCEMENT) Solr Examples reading group
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2016 08:29:25 GMT
On 05/10/2016 02:19, Walter Underwood wrote:
> I’m trying to bring up 6.2.1 after experience with 1.2 through 5.5, and it is a mess.
> I’ve done solid good practice (Zookeeper ensemble, chroot, data on EBS volume),
> but I’m stuck with a completely non-instructive stack trace.
>
> We run a separate data directory and SOLR_HOME, which is poorly supported by
> the startup script. I gave up and used a symlink to make it sorta happy.
>
> Still, I’m stuck with this.
>
> org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: Error processing the request. CoreContainer is
either not initialized or shutting down.
>        	at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:217)
>        	at org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrDispatchFilter.doFilter(SolrDispatchFilter.java:208)
>
> I’ve tried loading configs with bin/solr and with zkcli.sh. I get useless error messages
> from each of them.
>
> I worked on a commercial search product for ten years, and this wouldn’t pass basic
QA.
> We need to do some work, people.

Last week I had to upgrade a proof-of-concept demo that ran on Solr 4 to
6.2.1, using the Sunburnt client. I thought I'd use the Files example to
get started. This wasn't exactly painless: I ended up having to disable
Managed Schemas (I couldn't get Solr to use the old schema.xml), mess
around with Sunburnt (which assumed a certain URL structure to read
schema.xml) and generally chop large chunks out solrconfig.xml until it
began to work.

When we see clients with Solr issues the problems often stem from there
being *too much* in their configuration - they've started with one of
the example configs and added often conflicting settings, there's all
kinds of irrelevant stuff hanging around (you probably don't need a
Hungarian stemmer unless you're Hungarian), a zillion schema types
you'll never need...I'm beginning to wonder if an absolutely minimal
Solr example configuration might be a good idea. It's going to have to
make assumptions (e.g. it's probably going to assume English content)
and it won't do anything particularly clever, but I feel it might be a
better place to start than wondering what on earth all that
commented-out XML does, especially the bits that say 'you probably
shouldn't use this in production'. You can always copy those bits back
in later...

I'll be in Boston next week if anyone wants to chat about this. Maybe
I'll have a go at our Lucene Hackday on Tuesday (still some places
free!)
http://www.meetup.com/New-England-Search-Technologies-NEST-Group/events/233492535/

Cheers

Charlie