lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Jeff Wartes <jwar...@whitepages.com>
Subject Re: Queries regarding solr cache
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2016 21:53:24 GMT
I found this, which intends to explore the usage of RoaringDocIdSet for solr: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9008
This suggests Lucene’s filter cache already uses it, or did at one point: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-6077

I was playing with id set implementations earlier this year for https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7211.

I know I tried a SparseFixedBitSet there, and I think that I observed that RoaringDocIdSet
existed and tried that too, but I apparently didn’t write anything down. My vague recollection
is that I couldn’t use it for my use case, due to the in-order insertion requirement.



On 12/1/16, 8:10 AM, "Shawn Heisey" <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:

    On 12/1/2016 8:16 AM, Dorian Hoxha wrote:
    > @Shawn
    > Any idea why the cache doesn't use roaring bitsets ?
    
    I had to look that up to even know what it was.  Apparently Lucene does
    have an implementation of that, a class called RoaringDocIdSet.  It was
    incorporated into the source code in October 2014 with this issue:
    
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-5983
    
    As for the reason that it wasn't used for the filterCache, I think
    that's because the filterCache existed LONG before that bitset
    implementation was available, and when things work well (which describes
    the filterCache), devs try not to mess with them too much.
    
    I have mentioned the idea on a recently-filed issue regarding bitset
    memory efficiency:
    
    https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9764
    
    Thanks,
    Shawn
    
    

Mime
View raw message