lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Alfonso Muñoz-Pomer Fuentes <amu...@ebi.ac.uk>
Subject OOMs in Solr
Date Mon, 12 Dec 2016 10:13:48 GMT
Hi Solr users,

I’m writing because in our web application we’re using Solr 5.1.0 and
currently we’re hosting it on a VM with 32 GB of RAM (of which 30 are
dedicated to Solr and nothing else is running there). We have four
cores, that are this size:
- 25.56 GB, Num Docs = 57,860,845
- 12.09 GB, Num Docs = 173,491,631

(The other two cores are about 10 MB, 20k docs)

We aren’t indexing on this machine, and we’re getting OOM relatively
quickly (after about 14 hours of regular use). Right now we have a Cron
job that restarts Solr every 12 hours, so it’s not pretty. We use
faceting quite heavily and mostly as a document storage server (we want
full data sets instead of the n most relevant results).

I don’t know if what we’re experiencing is usual given the index size
and memory constraint of the VM, or something looks like it’s wildly
misconfigured. What do you think? Any useful pointers for some tuning we
could do to improve the service? Would upgrading to Solr 6 make sense?

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Alfonso Muñoz-Pomer Fuentes
Software Engineer @ Expression Atlas Team