lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ere Maijala <ere.maij...@helsinki.fi>
Subject Re: Very long young generation stop the world GC pause
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2016 08:01:49 GMT
Then again, if the load characteristics on the Solr instance differ e.g.
by time of day, G1GC, in my experience, may have trouble adapting. For
instance if your query load reduces drastically during the night, it may
take a while for G1GC to catch up in the morning. What I've found useful
from experience, and your mileage will probably vary, is to limit the
young generation size with a large heap. With Xmx31G something like
these could work:

-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions \
-XX:G1MaxNewSizePercent=5 \

The aim here is to only limit the maximum and still allow some adaptation.

--Ere