lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: How to combine third party search data as top results ?
Date Wed, 01 Feb 2017 09:06:38 GMT
On 31/01/2017 19:04, Shamik Bandopadhyay wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I'm trying to integrate results from a third party source with our
> existing search. The idea is to include the top 5 results from this source
> as the top result of our search.Though the external data is indexed in our
> system, the use case dictates us to use their ranking (by getting the top
> five result). Problem is, their result returns only text, title, and url.
> To construct the final response, I need to include a bunch of metadata
> fields which is only available in our index. Here are the steps:
> 1. Query external source, get top five results.
> 2. Query our index based on url from each result, retrieve their
> corresponding id.
> 3. Query our index and pass the ids as elevateIds (dynamic query elevation)
>
> This probably isn't a clean solution as it adds the overhead of an
> additional query to retrieve document ids. Just wondering if there's a
> better way to handle this situation, perhaps a way to combine step 2 and 3
> in a single query or a different approach altogether?
>
> Any pointers will be appreciated.
>
> -Thanks,
> Shamik

Hi Shamik,

I'm not sure if this will help, but we built a plugin for 'XJoin',
allowing you to use results from an external system with Solr. Here are
two blog posts about it:
http://www.flax.co.uk/blog/2016/01/25/xjoin-solr-part-1-filtering-using-price-discount-data/
http://www.flax.co.uk/blog/2016/01/29/xjoin-solr-part-2-click-example/

Cheers