lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Pouliot, Scott" <Scott.Poul...@peoplefluent.com>
Subject SOLRCloud on 6.4 on Ubuntu
Date Thu, 23 Feb 2017 21:12:08 GMT
I'm trying to find a good beginner level guide to setting up SolrCloud NOT using the example
configs that are provided with SOLR.

Here are my goals (and the steps I have done so far!):

1.       Use an external Zookeeper server

a.       wget http://apache.claz.org/zookeeper/zookeeper-3.3.6/zookeeper-3.3.6.tar.gz

b.       uncompress into /apps folder (Our company uses this type of standard folder, so I'm
following suit here)

c.       Copy zoo_sample.cfg to zoo.cfg

d.       Update data folder to: /apps/zookeeperData

e.       Bin/zkServer.sh start

2.       Install SOLR on both nodes

a.       wget http://www.us.apache.org/dist/lucene/solr/6.4.1/solr-6.4.1.tgz

b.       tar xzf solr-6.4.1.tgz solr-6.4.1/bin/install_solr_service.sh --strip-components=2

c.       ./install_solr_service.sh solr-6.4.1.tgz

d.       Update solr.in.sh to include the ZKHome variable set to my ZK server's ip on port
2181

Now it seems if I start SOLR manually with bin/solr start -c -p 8080 -z <ZK IP>:2181
then it will actually load, but if I let it auto start, I get an HTTP 500 error on the Admin
UI for SOLR.

I also can't seem to figure out what I need to upload into Zookeeper as far as configuration
files go.  I created a test collection on the instance when I got it up one time...but it
has yet to start properly again for me.

Are there any GOOD tutorials out there?  I have read most of the documentation I can get my
hands on thus far from Apache, and blogs and such, but the light bulb still has not lit up
for me yet and I feel like a n00b  ;-)

My company is currently running SOLR in the old master/slave config and I'm trying to setup
a SOLRCloud so that we can toy with it in a Dev/QA Environment and see what it's capable of.
 We're currently running 4 separate master/slave SOLR server pairs in production to spread
out the load a bit, but I'd rather see us migrate towards a cluster/cloud scenario to gain
some computing power here!

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Scott