lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Michael Dürr <alp.michael.du...@gmail.com>
Subject solr init script won't execute under user account without login shell
Date Sun, 05 Feb 2017 03:19:29 GMT
Hello,

please apologize if this is the wrong place to file my request! (Should I
open a JIRA issue instead?)

The problem:

I'm using solr 6.3.0. In my solr setup I apply some plugin code which
requires write access to some directories which are owned by the user
"tomcat". This user has no login shell (i.e. passwd holds /bin/false).

Due to our security policies I'm not allowed to simply add the "solr" user
to the "tomcat" group (in order to provide him write access to those
directories).

The obvious solution is to install solr under user "tomcat" (i.e. execute
the solr installation script with parameter "-u tomcat")

However, due to the missing login shell I won't be able to start solr via
the standard solr init script any longer.

My temporary solution is to add the command line option "-s /bin/bash" to
the solr init script by hand.

Is there already a better way to avoid this manual modification?

If not - might it be a good idea to add an option to the installation
script in order to specify a shell?

Best regards,
Michael