lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: Question about best way to architect a Solr application with many data sources
Date Wed, 22 Feb 2017 04:24:38 GMT
Reindexing is exactly why you want the Single Source of Truth to be in a repository outside
of Solr.

For our slowly-changing data sets, we have an intermediate JSONL batch. That is created from
the source repositories and saved in Amazon S3. Then we load it into Solr nightly. That allows
us to reload whenever we need to, like loading prod data in test or moving search to a different
Amazon region.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On Feb 21, 2017, at 7:34 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dave:
>
> Oh, I agree that a DB is a perfectly valid place to store the data and
> you're absolutely right that it allows better interaction than flat
> files; you can ask questions of an RDBMS that you can't easily ask the
> disk ;). Storing to disk is an alternative if you're unwilling to deal
> with a DB is all.
>
> But the main point is you'll change your schema sometime and have to
> re-index. Having the data you're indexing stored locally in whatever
> form will allow much faster turn-around rather than re-crawling. Of
> course it'll result in out of date data so you'll have to refresh
> somehow sometime.
>
> Erick
>
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Dave <hastings.recursive@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Ha I think I went to one of your training seminars in NYC maybe 4 years ago Eric.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree about the rdbms.  It's such a well know data format
that you could hire a high school programmer to help with the db end if you knew how to flatten
it to solr. Besides it's easy to visualize and interact with the data before it goes to solr.
A Json/Nosql format would work just as well, but I really think a database has its place in
a scenario like this

>>> On Feb 21, 2017, at 8:20 PM, Erick Erickson <erickerickson@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'll add that I _guarantee_ you'll want to re-index the data as you
>>> change your schema
>>> and the like. You'll be able to do that much more quickly if the data
>>> is stored locally somehow.
>>>
>>> A RDBMS is not necessary however. You could simply store the data on
>>> disk in some format
>>> you could re-read and send to Solr.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Erick

not hierarchical. That's what a database is for and trust me you would rather have a real
database on the end point.  Each tool has a purpose, solr can never replace a relational database,
and a relational database could not replace solr. Start with the slow model (database) for
control/display and enhance with the fast model (solr) for retrieval/search