lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Sebastian Riemer <s.rie...@littera.eu>
Subject Atomic updates to increase single field bulk updates?
Date Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:30:56 GMT
Dear solr users,

when updating documents in bulk (i.e. 40.000 documents at once), and only changing the value
of a single Boolean-Flag, I currently re-index all whole 40.000 objects. However, the process
of obtaining all relevant information for each object from the database is one of relatively
high cost.

I now wonder, if in this situation it would be a good idea to implement a single-field update
routine using atomic updates? In that case, I could skip any necessary lookups in the relational
database, since the only information would be the new value for that Boolean-Flag, and the
list of those 40.000 document ids.

I am aware of the requirements to use atomic updates, but as I understood, those would not
have a big impact on performance and only a slight increase in index size?

What is your opinion on that?

Thanks for your input, have a nice evening!

Sebastian