lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Charlie Hull <char...@flax.co.uk>
Subject Re: Poll: Master-Slave or SolrCloud?
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2017 08:50:29 GMT
On 24/04/2017 15:58, Otis Gospodnetić wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm really really surprised here.  Back in 2013 we did a poll to see how
> people were running Master-Slave (4.x back then) and SolrCloud was a bit
> more popular than Master-Slave:
> https://sematext.com/blog/2013/02/25/poll-solr-cloud-or-not/
>
> Here is a fresh new poll with pretty much the same question - How do you
> run your Solr? <https://twitter.com/sematext/status/854927627748036608> -
> and guess what?  SolrCloud is *not* at all a lot more prevalent than
> Master-Slave.
>
> We definitely see a lot more SolrCloud used by Sematext Solr
> consulting/support customers, so I'm a bit surprised by the results of this
> poll so far.

I'm not particularly surprised. We regularly see clients either with
single nodes or elderly versions of Solr (or even Lucene). Zookeeper is
still seen as a bit of a black art. Once you move from 'how do I run a
search engine' to 'how do I manage a cluster of servers with scaling for
performance/resilience/failover' you're looking at a completely new set
of skills and challenges, which I think puts many people off.

Charlie

--
Charlie Hull
Flax - Open Source Enterprise Search