lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Metrics in 6.5.1 names and stuff
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2017 21:53:39 GMT
I’m trying to get what I want out of the metrics reporting in Solr. I want the counts and
percentiles for each request handler in each collection. If I have “/srp”, “/suggest”,
and “/seo”, I want three sets of metrics.

I’m getting a lot of weird stuff. For counts for /srp in an eight node cluster, one node
(new-solr-c01) is reporting all of these graphite metric names:

new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c01.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard1_replica2/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c02.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard2_replica4/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c03.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard4_replica3/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c04.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard2_replica2/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c05.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard4_replica4/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c06.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard3_replica1/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c07.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard1_replica3/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.QUERY.httpShardHandler.http://new-solr-c08.test3.cloud.cheggnet.com:8983/solr/questions_shard3_replica3/srp.post.requests.count
new-solr-c01.solr.node.UPDATE.updateShardHandler./solr/questions/srp.get.requests.count

1. What are the metrics with the URLs? Are those distributed queries to other shards? If so,
why are they going to the local shard, too?

2. Why is the last one under UPDATE, when it is a query request handler?

3. The jetty metrics seem to lump everything together under the HTTP method.

4. I enabled the http group, but don’t get any metrics from it.

Here is the config. The prefix is set to the nodename. For this test, I sent the metrics to
localhost and logged them with “nc -l 2003 > graphite.log”.

   <metrics>
     <reporter name="graphite" group="node, core, jvm, jetty, http" class="org.apache.solr.metrics.reporters.SolrGraphiteReporter">
       <str name="host">${graphite_host:NO_HOST_SET}</str>
       <int name="port">2003</int>
       <str name="prefix">${graphite_prefix:NO_PREFIX_SET}</str>
       <int name="period”>60</int>
     </reporter>
   </metrics>

wunder