lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: MongoDb vs Solr
Date Sat, 05 Aug 2017 04:26:51 GMT
MarkLogic can do many-to-many. I worked there six years ago. They use search engine index structure
with generational updates, including segment level caches. With locking. Pretty good stuff.

A many to many relationship is an intersection across posting lists, with transactions. Straightforward,
but not easy to do it fast.

The “Inside MarkLogic Server” paper does a good job of explaining the guts.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Solr presentations.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On Aug 4, 2017, at 8:13 PM, David Hastings <DHastings@wshein.com> wrote:
>
> Also, id love to see an example of a many to many relationship in a nosql db as you described,
since that's a rdbms concept. If it exists in a nosql environment I would like to learn how...

>> On Aug 4, 2017, at 10:56 PM, Dave <hastings.recursive@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Uhm. Dude are you drinking?
>>
>> 1. Lucidworks would never say that.
>> 2. Maria is not a json +MySQL. Maria is a fork of the last open source version of
MySQL before oracle bought them
>> 3.walter is 100% correct. Solr is search. The only complex data structure it has
is an array. Something like mongo can do arrays hashes arrays of hashes etc, it's actually
json based. But it can't search well as a search engine can.