lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Move index directory to another partition
Date Fri, 04 Aug 2017 18:15:41 GMT
On 8/2/2017 9:17 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> Not entirely sure about AWS intricacies, but getting a new replica to
> use a particular index directory in the general case is just
> specifying dataDir=some_directory on the ADDREPLICA command. The index
> just needs an HTTP connection (uses the old replication process) so
> nothing huge there. Then DELETEREPLICA for the old one. There's
> nothing that ZK has to know about to make this work, it's all local to
> the Solr instance.

I was envisioning a scenario where the entire solr home is on the old
volume that's going away.  If I were setting up a Solr install where the
large/fast storage was a separate filesystem, I would put the solr home
(or possibly even the entire install) under that mount point.  It would
be a lot easier than setting dataDir in core.properties for every core,
especially in a cloud install.

If the dataDir property is already in use to relocate index data, then
ADDREPLICA and DELETEREPLICA would be a great way to go.  I would not
expect most SolrCloud users to use that method.

Thanks,
Shawn