lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Tom Peters <tpet...@synacor.com>
Subject Issue with CDCR bootstrapping in Solr 7.1
Date Thu, 30 Nov 2017 15:33:38 GMT
I'm running into an issue with the initial CDCR bootstrapping of an existing index. In short,
after turning on CDCR only the leader replica in the target data center will have the documents
replicated and it will not exist in any of the follower replicas in the target data center.
All subsequent incremental updates made to the source datacenter will appear in all replicas
in the target data center.

A little more details:

I have two clusters setup, a source cluster and a target cluster. Each cluster has only one
shard and three replicas. I used the configuration detailed in the Source and Target sections
of the reference guide as-is with the exception of updating the zkHost (https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/7_1/cross-data-center-replication-cdcr.html#cdcr-configuration-2).

The source data center has the following nodes:
	solr01-a, solr01-b, and solr01-c

The target data center has the following nodes:
	solr02-a, solr02-b, and solr02-c

Here are the steps that I've done:

1. Create collection in source and target data centers

2. Add a number of documents to the source data center

3. Verify:

    $ for i in solr0{1,2}-{a,b,c}; do echo -n "$i: "; curl -s $i:8080/solr/mycollection/select'?q=*:*'
| jq '.response.numFound'; done
    solr01-a: 81
    solr01-b: 81
    solr01-c: 81
    solr02-a: 0
    solr02-b: 0
    solr02-c: 0

4. Start CDCR:

    $ curl 'solr01-a:8080/solr/mycollection/cdcr?action=START'

5. See if target data center has received the initial index

    $ for i in solr0{1,2}-{a,b,c}; do echo -n "$i: "; curl -s $i:8080/solr/mycollection/select'?q=*:*'
| jq '.response.numFound'; done
    solr01-a: 81
    solr01-b: 81
    solr01-c: 81
    solr02-a: 0
    solr02-b: 0
    solr02-c: 81

    note: only -c has received the index

6. Add another document to the source cluster

7. See how many documents are in each node:

    $ for i in solr0{1,2}-{a,b,c}; do echo -n "$i: "; curl -s $i:8080/solr/mycollection/select'?q=*:*'
| jq '.response.numFound'; done
    solr01-a: 82
    solr01-b: 82
    solr01-c: 82
    solr02-a: 1
    solr02-b: 1
    solr02-c: 82

As you can see, the initial index only made it to one of the replicas in the target data center,
but subsequent incremental updates have appeared everywhere I would expect. Any help would
be greatly appreciated, thanks.

This message and any attachment may contain information that is confidential and/or proprietary.
Any use, disclosure, copying, storing, or distribution of this e-mail or any attached file
by anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender by reply email and delete the message and any attachments.
Thank you.