lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Sundaram, Dinesh" <Dinesh.Sunda...@mastercard.com>
Subject RE: Solrcloud with Master/Slave
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2018 16:01:50 GMT
Thanks Shawn for your prompt response. Assume I have solrcloud A server with 1 node runs on
8983 port and solrcloud B server with 1 node runs on 8983, here I want to synch up the collection
between solrcloud A and B using the below replication handler. Is this advisable to use at
the solrcloud B ?

<requestHandler name="/replication" class="solr.ReplicationHandler" >
    <lst name="slave">
        <str name="masterUrl">http://solrcloudA:8983/solr/${solr.core.name}/replication</str>
        <str name="pollInterval">00:00:20</str>
    </lst>
</requestHandler>

Dinesh Sundaram
MBS Platform Engineering

Mastercard

-----Original Message-----
From: Shawn Heisey [mailto:apache@elyograg.org]
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 5:33 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Solrcloud with Master/Slave

On 1/2/2018 3:32 PM, Sundaram, Dinesh wrote:
> I have spun up single solrcloud node on 2 servers.

This makes no sense.  If you have two servers, then you probably have more than a single node.

> tried to synch up the data b/w those servers via zookeeper

This is not done with zookeeper.  SolrCloud should handle it automatically.  SolrCloud uses
the zookeeper database to *coordinate* keeping machines in sync, but it's Solr that does the
work, not zookeeper.

This makes even less sense when taken in context with the previous sentence.  If you only
have a single node, then you can't possibly sync between them.

> but didn’t work well due to out of memory issues, ensemble issues with
> multiple ports connectivity. So had to move to Master slave
> replication b/w those 2 solrcloud nodes. I couldn’t find any issues so
> far. Is this advisable? Because I’m wondering that looks like mixing
> up solrcloud and master/slave replication.

If you're getting OOME problems, then whatever program threw the OOME most likely needs more
heap.  Or you need to take steps to reduce the amount of heap that's required.  Note that
this second option might not actually be possible ... increasing the heap is probably the
only option you have.  Since version 5.0, Solr has shipped with the default heap set to 512MB,
which is extremely small.  Most users need to increase it.

You can't mix master-slave replication and SolrCloud.  SolrCloud takes over the replication
feature for its own purposes.  Trying to mix these is going to cause you problems.  You may
not run into the problems immediately, but it is likely that you would run into a problem
eventually.  Data loss would be possible.

The latest versions of Solr have new SolrCloud replication types that closely mimic the old
master-slave replication.

Perhaps you should start over and describe what you've actually seen -- exactly what you've
done and configured, and how the results differed from your expectations.  Precise commands
entered will be helpful.

Thanks,
Shawn

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This e-mail message and any attachments are only for the use of the
intended recipient and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt
from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
distribution or other use of this e-mail message or attachments is prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail message in error, please delete and notify the sender immediately. Thank
you.