lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <elyog...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Hard commits blocked | non-solrcloud v6.6.2
Date Sun, 11 Feb 2018 17:33:16 GMT
On 2/10/2018 11:58 PM, mmb1234 wrote:
> Only `top` available on Photon OS is
> https://github.com/vmware/photon/blob/1.0/SPECS/procps-ng/procps-ng.spec.
> Those screenshots are attached.

Attachments rarely make it to the mailing list.  I don't see any
attachments.

This is an example of what I am looking for:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/85h1weuopa643za/bigindy5-top-small-shr.png?dl=0

This screenshot is from a machine running one Solr instance with a 28GB
heap, and over 700GB of index data.  These values can be deduced from
the screenshot.  The other java processes are home-grown software
related to Solr, not using very many resources.

The machine has 64GB of RAM.  This is a dev server.  If I were to see
these numbers from somebody's production install, I would conclude that
the machine had insufficient memory for good performance -- 64GB of
total memory, 28GB of that used by Solr's heap, leaves about 36GB to
cache over 700GB of index data.  It's not enough.  This machines rarely
sees any query traffic.  What queries *do* get sent there do not perform
very well.  Because it's a dev server, it just needs to work, good
performance is unnecessary.

Thanks,
Shawn