lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Brian Yee <b...@wayfair.com>
Subject RE: External file fields
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2018 15:53:03 GMT
Hello Erick,

I did look into updatable docValues, but my understanding is that the field has to be non-indexed
(indexed="false"). I need to be able to sort on these values. External field fields are sortable.
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/6_6/updating-parts-of-documents.html#UpdatingPartsofDocuments-In-PlaceUpdates

-----Original Message-----
From: Erick Erickson [mailto:erickerickson@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 1, 2018 5:00 PM
To: solr-user <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>
Subject: Re: External file fields

Have you considered updateable docValues?

Best,
Erick

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 10:55 AM, Brian Yee <byee@wayfair.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want to use external file field to store frequently changing inventory and price data.
I got a proof of concept working with a mock text file and this will suit my needs.

> What is the best way to keep this file updated in a fast way. Ideally I would like to
read changes from a Kafka queue and write to the file. But it seems like I would have to open
the whole file, read the whole file, find the line I want to change, and write the whole file
for every change. Is there a better way to do that? That approach seems like it would be difficult/slow
if the file is several million lines long.

> Also, once I come up with a way to update the file quickly, what is the best way to distribute
the file to all the different solrcloud nodes in the correct directory?