lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DovValues and in-place udpates
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:16:44 GMT
"But it also triggers a slow update that will rebuild the entire document..."

Why do you think this? The whole _point_ of in-place updates is that
they don't have to re-index the whole document.... And the only way to
do that effectively would be if all the fields are stored, which is
not a requirement for in-place updates.

Best,
Erick

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 8:02 AM, Brian Yee <byee@wayfair.com> wrote:
> I asked a question here about fast inventory updates last week and I was recommended
to use docValues with partial in-place updates. I think this will work well, but there is
a problem I can't think of a good solution for.

> Consider this scenario:
> InStock = 1 for a product.
> InStock changes to 0 which triggers a fast in-place update with docValues.
> But it also triggers a slow update that will rebuild the entire document. Let's say that
takes 10 minutes because we do updates in batches.
> During that 5 minutes, InStock changes again to 1 which triggers a fast update to solr.
So in Solr InStock=1 which is correct.