lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Need help to get started on Solr, searching get nothing. Thank you very much in advance
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2018 12:20:29 GMT
On 4/2/2018 9:00 PM, Raymond Xie wrote:
> I see there is "/browse" in solrconfig.xml :
>
>   <requestHandler name="/browse" class="solr.SearchHandler"
> useParams="query,facets,velocity,browse">
>      <lst name="defaults">
>        <str name="echoParams">explicit</str>
>      </lst>
>    </requestHandler>
>
> and  name="defaults" with one item of "df" as shown below:
>    <initParams
> path="/update/**,/query,/select,/tvrh,/elevate,/spell,/browse">
>      <lst name="defaults">
>        <str name="df">_text_</str>
>      </lst>
>    </initParams>
>
> My understanding is I can put whatever fields I want to enable index and
> searching here in parallel with  <str name="df">_text_</str>, am I correct?

Be careful with the /browse handler.  It is not intended for production
use.  The primary reason is that in order for /browse to work, the end
user must have direct access to the Solr server -- the /browse handler
instructs the user's browser to make direct calls to Solr's API.  Those
calls do not happen server side.  The /browse handler serves as an
example of Solr's capability.

Giving end users direct access to Solr, unless you put an intelligent
proxy in between them that can block undesirable requests, is a security
risk.  Configuring such a proxy is not a trivial exercise.

The standard query parser uses the df parameter (default field) to
indicate which field to search when no field is given. The df parameter
can only use ONE field.  The dismax and edismax parsers have qf, pf, and
friends, to specify multiple fields to query.

Thanks,
Shawn