lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Steve Rowe <sar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: deprecated field types
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2018 17:16:42 GMT
I created a JIRA issue to track the Trie field removal effort: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-12632

--
Steve
www.lucidworks.com

> On Aug 7, 2018, at 11:48 AM, Shawn Heisey <elyograg@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
> On 8/6/2018 11:52 PM, Hendrik Haddorp wrote:
>> Below the table the following is stated:
>> /All Trie* numeric and date field types have been deprecated in favor of *Point field
types. Point field types are better at range queries (speed, memory, disk), however simple
field:value queries underperform relative to Trie. Either accept this, or continue to use
Trie fields. This shortcoming may be addressed in a future release./

>> Given that it is suggested that one can keep using these fields can I expect that
the types are not being removed in Solr 8?

> As far as I know, they will be removed in 8.  They WOULD have been removed in 7.0 --
the underlying Lucene legacy numeric classes that make the Trie fields possible were removed
in Lucene 7.  By including the source code for the legacy numeric classes in the Solr codebase,
we were able to keep the Trie fields around for another major version.  This was extremely
important for backwards compatibility -- without doing that, it would not have been possible
for Solr 7 to read a large fraction of existing Solr 6 indexes that were NOT using deprecated
Solr 6 classes.

> Even if Trie fields are removed, Solr 8 will be able to read any Solr 7 index that is
not using deprecated types.  This is the historical backward compatibility guarantee that
Solr has always had.