lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Björn Häuser <bjoernhaeu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ZooKeeper issues with AWS
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2018 09:42:53 GMT
Hello,

> On 31. Aug 2018, at 21:53, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>

> As Walter hinted, ZooKeeper 3.4.x is not capable of dynamically adding/removing servers
to/from the ensemble.  To do this successfully, all ZK servers and all ZK clients must be
upgraded to 3.5.x.  Solr is a ZK client when running in cloud mode.  The 3.5.x version of
ZK is currently in beta.  When a stable version is released, Solr will have its dependency
upgraded in the next release.  We do not know if you can successfully replace the ZK jar in
Solr with a 3.5.x version without making changes to the code.

as far as I can see the required fix for this is finally in 3.4.13:

- https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/451 <https://github.com/apache/zookeeper/pull/451>
- https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.13/releasenotes.html <https://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.4.13/releasenotes.html>
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2184 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER-2184>

Would be great to have this in the next solr update.

Also we are solving this with using a kuberrnetes service, which does not change the ip-address
when the zk nodes are restarted. This worked pretty will with solr 6.6.x, but we are having
problems with solr 7.3.x and 7.4.x. There we occasionally get a “zk client disconnected”.
Next step will be to upgrade our zk clusters from 3.4.10 to 3.4.13.

Thank you
Björn