lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Java version 11 for solr 7.5?
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2018 18:16:59 GMT
On 9/26/2018 9:35 AM, Jeff Courtade wrote:
> My concern with using g1 is solely based on finding this.
> Does anyone have any information on this?
>
> https://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/JavaBugs#Oracle_Java_.2F_Sun_Java_.2F_OpenJDK_Bugs

I have never had a single problem with Solr running with the G1
collector.  I'm only aware of one actual bug in Lucene that mentions G1
... and it is specific to the 32-bit version of Java.  It is strongly
recommended for other reasons to only use a 64-bit Java.

On the subject of the blog post mentioned by Zisis T... generally
speaking, it is not a good idea to explicitly set the size of the
various generations.  G1 will tune the sizes of each generation as it
runs for best results.  By setting or limiting the size, that tuning
cannot work with freedom, and you might be unhappy with the results.

Here is a wiki page that contains my own experiments with garbage
collection tuning:

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ShawnHeisey

Thanks,
Shawn