lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need Support - Apache Solr - 20180915
Date Sat, 15 Sep 2018 15:41:09 GMT
2. It's almost always a mistake to think about it this way. You're not
going to "implement Apache Solr in the particular above table to
increase search capability", you're going to build a search
application where the system of record is the database. So forget
about the table! Just consider the data it contains and ask "how do I
want to search this?" Build out your use cases which will be vital to
design your schema, and _then_ consider how to move the data from your
DB into Solr to support those use cases.

3. That's what SolrCloud is all about

4. Again, the wrong question. At the "billions" scale you have to use
shards. As was said before, there's a hard limit of 2 billion
docs/shard, and practically less than that. You have no choice but to
shard so a better question is "can I get the performance I need from a
multi-shard Solr collection with the data I have and the use-cases I
need to support", which you can't tell until you prototype. Here's a
blog on this very topic:
https://lucidworks.com/2012/07/23/sizing-hardware-in-the-abstract-why-we-dont-have-a-definitive-answer/

Best,
Erick

On Sat, Sep 15, 2018 at 8:24 AM senthil <senthilkumarp@sardonyx.in> wrote:

> Dear Team,
>

> We are beginners to Apache Solr and its implementations. We need the following basic
clarifications regarding Apache Solr usage and implementing with MS-SQL server database.

> 1. Our MS-SQL server database having the data table which contains 20 columns with billions
of data.

> 2. How to implement Apache Solr in the particular above table to increase search capability?
>

> 3. Is there any way to call the data which is distributed across 2 shards/node of Apache
Solr at a time?