lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: parent/child rows in solr
Date Sat, 08 Sep 2018 01:32:47 GMT
On 9/7/2018 3:06 PM, John Smith wrote:
> Hi, I have a document structure like this (this is a made up schema, my
> data has nothing to do with departments and employees, but the structure
> holds true to my real data):
>
> department 1
>      employee 11
>      employee 12
>      employee 13
>      room 11
>      room 12
>      room 13
>
> department 2
>      employee 21
>      employee 22
>      room 21
>
> ... etc
>
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to index this, and perform queries.
> Due to the sheer volume of data, I cannot do a simple "flat file" approach,
> repeating the header data for each child entry.

Why not?

For the precise use case you have outlined, Solr will work better if you
only have the child documents and simply have every document contain a
"department" field which contains an identifier for the department.
Since this precise structure is not what you are doing, you'll need to
adapt what I'm saying to your actual data.

The volume of data should be irrelevant to this decision. Solr will
always work best with a flat document structure.

I have never used the parent/child document feature in Solr, so I cannot
offer any advice on it.  Somebody else will need to help you if you
choose to use that feature.

Thanks,
Shawn