lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Rule-based replication or sharing
Date Tue, 25 Sep 2018 22:19:18 GMT
On 9/25/2018 9:21 AM, Chuck Reynolds wrote:
> Each server has three instances of Solr running on it so every instance on the server
has to be in the same replica set.

You should be running exactly one Solr instance per server.  When
evaluating rules for replica placement, SolrCloud will treat each
instance as completely separate from all others, including others on the
same machine.  It will not know that those three instances are on the
same machine.  One Solr instance can handle MANY indexes.

There is only ONE situation where it makes sense to run multiple
instances per machine, and in my strong opinion, even that situation
should not be handled with multiple instances. That situation is this:
When running one instance would require a REALLY large heap.  Garbage
collection pauses can become extreme in that situation, so some people
will run multiple instances that each have a smaller heap, and divide
their indexes between them. In my opinion, when you have enough index
data on an instance that it requires a huge heap, instead of running two
or more instances on one server, it's time to add more servers.

Thanks,
Shawn