lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: AIX platform: Solr goes down with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError with Open JDK 11
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2019 14:24:55 GMT
On 2/4/2019 5:53 AM, balu.es@gmail.com wrote:
> I am running solr 7.5.0 with Open JDK11 in AIX platform. When i trigger data
> import operation , solr is going down with below error on AIX platform but,
> the same thing works in RHEL platform.
>
> The same solr 7.5.0 data import operation is success with JDK8 in same AIX
> platform.

Java 11 is not qualified with any version of Solr yet.  We don't know
whether it works or not.  Java 9 is known to work with Solr 7.x.  My
recommendation here is to stick with Java 8 until we can find and fix
any problems with 11.

> *Error from solr.log  Solr 7.5.0 with Open JDK 11 on AIX platform:*
>
> /*ERROR (coreContainerWorkExecutor-2-thread-1) [   ] o.a.s.c.CoreContainer
> Error waiting for SolrCore to be loaded on startup
> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Failed to create a thread: retVal -1073741830,
> errno 11*/

This OutOfMemoryError is not actually due to memory.  Java is saying
that it failed to create a thread.

Typically this is caused by the OS restricting the number of processes a
user is allowed to start.  Sometimes the OS might treat threads
differently than processes so a different limit might need to be
increased ... I have no idea whether AIX behaves that way or not.

The fact that it works with Java 8 is a little odd.  Maybe Java 11
itself creates more threads than 8 does.

Thanks,
Shawn