lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: Solr 7.5 - Indexing Failing due to "IndexWriter is Closed"
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2019 04:15:13 GMT
Yeah, that would overload it. To get good indexing speed, I configure two clients per CPU on
the indexing machine. With one shard on a 16 processor machine, that would be 32 threads.
With four shards on four 16 processor machines, 128 clients. Basically, one thread is waiting
while the CPU processes a batch and the other is sending the next batch.

That should get the cluster to about 80% CPU. If the cluster is handling queries at the same
time, I cut that way back, like one client thread for every two CPUs.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On Apr 2, 2019, at 8:13 PM, Aroop Ganguly <aroopganguly@icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Mutliple threads to the same index ? And how many concurrent threads?
>
> Our case is not merely multiple threads but actually large scale spark indexer jobs that
index 1B records at a time with a concurrency of 400.
> In this case multiple such jobs were indexing into the same index.
>

>> On Apr 2, 2019, at 7:25 AM, Walter Underwood <wunder@wunderwood.org> wrote:
>>
>> We run multiple threads indexing to Solr all the time and have been doing so for
years.

>> How big are your documents and how big are your batches?
>>
>> wunder
>> Walter Underwood
>> wunder@wunderwood.org
>> http://observer.wunderwood.org/  (my blog)
>>
>>> On Apr 1, 2019, at 10:51 PM, Aroop Ganguly <aroopganguly@icloud.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Turns out the cause was multiple indexing jobs indexing into the index simultaneously,
which one can imagine can cause jvm loads on certain replicas for sure.
>>> Once this was found and only one job ran at a time, things were back to normal.
>>>
>>> Your comments seem right on no correlation to the stack trace!

telling us something or its of no use to consider this stack

error is thrown probably has absolutely no connection to the part of the program where major
amounts of memory are being used.  It could be ANY memory allocation that actually causes
the error.