lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pagination with streaming expressions
Date Wed, 01 May 2019 23:56:21 GMT
This sounds like an XY problem. You’re asking now to paginate, but not explaining the problem
you want to solve with paginating.

I don’t immediately see what purpose paginating serves here. What significance does a page
have to do with the gatherNodes? How use would the _user_ have with these results? Especially
for two unrelated queries. IOW if for query1 you count something for page 13, and for query2
you also count something for page 13 what information is the user getting in those two cases?
Especially if the total result set for query1 is 1,000 docs but for query2 is 10,000,000 does?

But in general no, streaming is orthogonal to most use-cases for pagination and isn’t really
supported except if you read through the returns and throw away the first N pages, probably
pretty inefficient.

Erick