lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: Solr long q values
Date Fri, 03 May 2019 20:18:21 GMT
512M was the default heap for Java 1.1. We never changed the default. So no size was “chosen”.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org

> On May 3, 2019, at 10:11 PM, Shawn Heisey <apache@elyograg.org> wrote:
>
> On 5/3/2019 1:37 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
>> We already do warnings for ulimits, so memory seems reasonable. Along the same vein,
does starting with 512M make sense either?
>> Feel free to, raise a JIRA, but I won’t have any time to work on it….
>
> Done.

> I think that for typical server systems, starting with a 512MB heap is a little bit nuts.
>
> I think I know why such a low number was chosen.  Without a much smarter startup, a super
low default is the only way to ensure that Solr will start on virtually any system that somebody
tries it on, like the small AWS servers.