lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr long q values
Date Fri, 03 May 2019 20:11:50 GMT
On 5/3/2019 1:37 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> We already do warnings for ulimits, so memory seems reasonable. Along the same vein,
does starting with 512M make sense either?

> Feel free to, raise a JIRA, but I won’t have any time to work on it….

Done.

I think that for typical server systems, starting with a 512MB heap is a
little bit nuts.

I think I know why such a low number was chosen.  Without a much smarter
startup, a super low default is the only way to ensure that Solr will
start on virtually any system that somebody tries it on, like the small
AWS servers.

Thanks,
Shawn