lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr long q values
Date Fri, 03 May 2019 16:49:38 GMT
On 5/3/2019 2:32 AM, solrnoobie wrote:
> So whenever we have long q values (from a sentence to a small paragraph), we
> encounter some heap problems (OOM) and I guess this is normal?
>
> So my question would be is how should we handle this type of problem? Of
> course we could always limit the size of the search term queries in the
> application side but is there anything we could do in our configuration that
> could prevent the OOM issues even if some random user intentionally bombard
> us with long search queries in the front end?

If you're running out of memory, then Solr will need a larger heap, or
you'll need to change something so it requires less heap.

A large query string is one of those things that might require a larger
heap.

The default heap size that Solr has shipped with since 5.0 is 512MB ...
which is VERY small.  Virtually all Solr users will need to increase
this or they will run into OOME, or find that their server is running
extremely slow.  It does not take very much index data to require more
than 512MB heap.

A thought for Erick and other committers:  I know we are trying to
reduce log verbosity.  But along the same lines as the log entries about
file and process limits, I was thinking it might be a good idea to have
a one-line WARN entry if the max heap size is 1GB or less.  And a config
option to disable the logging.

Thanks,
Shawn