lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Solr 5.3 to 6.0
Date Tue, 18 Jun 2019 20:44:03 GMT
On 6/18/2019 12:16 PM, ilango dhandapani wrote:
> Tried several attempts like delete collection/config, take index backup from
> 5.3, clear index and place them back after upgrade. All tried resulted in
> faceting not working with 5.3 and 6.0 data combined.

Most likely what happened here is that the field classes you're using
changed so they default to docValues="true" in version 6.  When
docValues is enabled on a field, Solr will use docValues for faceting
and sorting ... and the existing data in the index from the old version
may not actually have any docValues data.

> I can clean up index and upgrade to 6.0 and reindex all from my DB. Here
> faceting works fine.
>
> Problem is I have less data in non prod but I have ~280 million records in
> prod and is growing daily. So cleaning and reindexing all of them from DB is
> going to take weeks.

You could *try* explicitly setting docValues="false" on the fields where
you need to facet so that Solr will not try to use docValues for
faceting ... but I can't guarantee that this is going to actually work.

Really what you need to do is reindex from scratch on the new version.

Thanks,
Shawn