lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <apa...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Unexpected behaviour when Solr 6 Admin UI pages are cached and server is Solr 8?
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2019 18:47:35 GMT
On 6/5/2019 11:10 AM, Colvin Cowie wrote:
> Upon opening the Admin UI I got some nasty behaviour, which appears to be a
> result of some the Solr 6 Admin UI pages being cached.

In general I would consider this a bug, and a good reason to raise an
issue in Jira.

The admin UI should tell the browser not to EVER cache items that could
change.

We could probably go with "don't cache anything" ... but some of the
files the admin UI uses are quite large, so I don't think it's a bad
idea to let the browser go ahead and cache things that are not likely to
change, especially if they have a version number in the filename.  Maybe
for large things that don't have version numbers, which includes files
like "angular.js", we could tell the browser to only cache it for a
short time, say 5 to 15 minutes.

An alternate idea for discussion ... we could modify the URLs so that
everything that can be cached has a version number.  Maybe by putting it
in a subdirectory that contains the release version, like "v8.1.1" or
"v8.1.2-SNAPSHOT".  It would make the build process a little more
complicated, but I think it would also make sure that problems like this
never happen again.

Thanks,
Shawn